Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Typing from Thailand

We blew through Angkor. Its an absolute shutterbugs paradise, over 400 square kilometers of 500-1200 year old massive temple complexes (sorry, no pics on my phone to share). And siem reap seemed like a nice place to hang out for a bit also, but I think we were both a bit worn out from traveling and could hear the Thai beaches calling. So we settled for a sunrise at Angkor Wat, and a sub-six hour tour of the little circuit (including Ta Prom, where Indiana jones and tomb raider were filmed), then carried on our way.

- I had a terrible gut ache our second night in siem reap, and when my water broke the next morning, I enjoyed the worst traveller tummy I've ever had. At least 14 trips to the washroom in the next 16 hours, and would have been a whole lot more except we were often stuck in transit or border crossings. Highlight was the disgusting outhouse once through the thai border control, complete with half an inch of muddy water and no where to put your bags. Using a squater in a 40 degree sauna while sick and holding a 30+ pound backpack on your lap should be an Olympic sport. Except I would have been disqualified for accuracy. Mmmmm gross. Thank goodness for modern medicine though, the prescription strength stuff I'd never had to use before saved my life.

- we could have flown, but Christine wanted to save a few bucks and I was still game for an adventure, so we went overland to Thailand - a journey wrought with nightmarish scams according to casual google searches. We opted for private taxis to avoid the bus scams (and met a few sorry victims at the border crossing as proof they exist), took 2 hours to get our passports stamped, but thanks to our high speed taxi on the other side we arrived in Bangkok in time to get the last sleeper tickets on the overnight train to Surat Thani. I love train travel btw. Slept like a champ (after taking said pills).

- from there we caught a 3 hour bus to krabi. It's a pleasant little marina town but really just a launch place to other destinations like ko phi phi and ko lanta. We came through determined to hit railay beach. Christine is no planner, but I have to hand it to her, she found a real gem here. The boat ride out had scenery that surpassed even halong bay. Everytime I look back at the shore, I'm shocked at the beauty before me all over again. We decided to splurge and get a resort on the beach for 1 night and make two full days of napping, reading, and swimming out of it. Wonderfully relaxing.

- you know a place is hot when you set the ac to 27 and it feels cold. It's been above 40 with the humidex since we got to Thailand and all but the locals have a permanent sheen. Surprisingly, I haven't really been bothered by it. We eased into the heat well - Taipei was about 15 degrees and every spot we've hit went up about 5 since then. Plus I've gotten used to to being sweaty, sticky and dirty. Feels kinda nice. The sun is a different story though. It's not so much rays as straight up laser-beams, and even christine had to join me in the shade.

- tomorrow we'll go to ao nang for a couple nights and are planning to try a day trip/snorkel boat to ko phi phi. Then it's back to krabi where we'll catch a flight back to Bangkok, just in time to sleep before our flight home. A few days ago I was ready to header, but now that makes me very sad. Feel like I could sit on the beaches here for a lifetime.

- also, the food in Thailand is spectacular. I had the best pad Thai in my life yesterday. Ro-tee? Yum. Spring rolls and curry noodles for breakfast? I think so! Now just gotta find some grilled crickets.

- I do feel like I've "done" SE Asia now. But if you think about it this trip has been the equivalent of hitting London, Paris, Venice, Rome, and maybe a few slow trains through small towns in the Alps. Sure you've "seen" Europe, but there's a lot more to take in. I wouldn't be at all upset to find myself back exploring here again some day.

- Quote of the day: traveling is not about seeing the sights, it's about the deep and permanent change in ideas about living.

See you all back in the snow soon!















2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm... I would fly the whole distance for authentic Thai food. That does it - SE Asia is officially on my bucket list :)
    --Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally should be Sheri! Beautiful part of the world and do much cheaper than western destinations. See you soon on the snowy side!

      Delete